Untitled Document
 

 

 
HOME > Tourism > Tourism of Gangjin > Cultural assets > Tangible cultural assets


[Buddhist Property / Confucian Property / Historical Property ]
* Daegu-myeon Celadon Sites


▶ Appointment No. Historical Site No. 68
▶ Appointment Date Jan. 21, 1963
▶ Size 183
▶ Location Daegu-myeon, GangJin-gun

Many Celadon porcelains from GangJin have been found spread around Daegu-myeon and Chilryang-myeon. Since Koryo Celadon was introduced to the outside world in 1914, much attention of experts worldwide has been paid to these areas.

The key place of GangJin Celadon is Daeku-myeon, especially YongMun stream whose upper reaches include YongWun-lee. A village called Wungok at the foot of the JungSoo temple to the northeast is a starting point for Celadon finds. These include the seashore where YongMun stream enters the sea. Kilns excavated in YongWun-ri have shown similarities with Chinese ones from the late-10th century to the mid-11th century.

SaDang-ri at the lower stream is said to have been from the zenith of Koryo Celadon. Celadon tiles in the National Museum are proof that these areas produced some of best Celadon of the Koryo Dynasty.


* Dasan`s Remains


▶ Appointment No. Historical Site No. 107
▶ Appointment Date Jan. 21, 1963
▶ Size 3,339 pyeong
▶ Period Chosun Dynasty
▶ Location Mandeok-ri, Doam-myeon, GangJin 

Dasan Thatched Cottage, located at the foot of Mt. Mandeok, and looking down on GangJin Bay, was the place of exil where Chung Yag Yong, a scholar of the practical learning school in the Chosun Dynasty was sent. Dasan, (1762~1836) was the fourth son of Chung JaeWon who was a governor of Jinju He passed the exam to be a officer and occupied many positions. Involved with WhangSaYeong`s white paper and exiled to GangJin, Chung lived outside of GangJin-eup`s east gate for 8 years out of his 18-year exile and moved into 2 cottage where he taught students and wrote books.

He completed about 500 works with the help of his pupils from the spring of 1808 to September of 1818. Among his books, `MokMin SimSo`, `KyongSeyUpyo`, and `HumHumSinSo` are most famous. The house where he lived fell to ruin. Later the east hermitage and west hermitage were built next to the cottage.


* Jeolla Byungyeong Sacred Place


▶ Appointment No. Historical Site No. 397
▶ Appointment Date April 1, 1997
▶ Size 30, 000 pyeong
▶ Period 1417, King TaeJong`s 17
▶ Location SeongDong-ri ByungYeong-myon GangJin

Jeolla ByungYeong was the main base of the Jeolla Army for 500 years during the Choson Dynasty. It was moved from GwangSan-hyeon in 1417, the year of King TaeJong`s 17. Its First commander, General Ma-ChunDeuk, built it and people called it `Snowy ByungYeong`, because of General Ma`s dream. It was constructed on flat ground and was a long, vertical shape with a total length of 1,500 meters.

Governor KwonYool`s appeal in 1599, the year of King SunJo`s 32, caused it to be moved to JangHeung temporarily but it was returned in 1604, during the Dutch man Hamel`s 8 year stay. In 1894, in the late Chosun period, the DongHak Revolt ruined ByungYoung and it was demolished in 1895, the year of King KoJong`s 32. The Jeolla barracks has been appointed and managed as Jeolla Monument No.140 since March 9, 1992 and was ratified as a National monument in 1997.


* Byungyeyng Hongkyo (Bridge)


▶ Appointment No. Local Tangible Cultural Property No. 129
▶ Appointment Date Feb. 7, 1986
▶ Size 4.5 meters tall and 6.75 meters wide
▶ Period Chosun Dynasty
▶ Location 323-3 Seongdong-ri ByungYeong-myeon GangJin

ByungYeng was a strategic place of the Chosun Army. It was built in 1417 to protect Honam Province against foreign attack on the south coast and did so for 500 years.

HongKyo was the gate to ByungYeng, and was also called `BaeJin River Bridge`. It had 26 rows of 74 of granite and clay covered the surface of the bridge. A dragon with a bead, in the center of the bridge, rears its head to the skies and looks very humorous. 


* Gangjae Diary


▶ Appointment No. Local Tangible Cultural Property No. 206
▶ Appointment Date Oct. 13, 1998
▶ Size 1 unit 2
▶ Location 201 Yongsang-ri, Jakcheon-myun, Gangjin

Park, Gi-Hyun grew up in this region. He was born in Omchen, Gangjin, on April 22, 1863 and his pseudonym was Gangjae. His Grandfather was Cheonik and his father was Gaebin. He learned liberal arts at a home school and he was taught by Jung,Ui-Lim and Moon, Gwi-Arm and Kim, Han-Seob. He had a good relationship with Hwang, Hyun ,whose pseudonym was Maecheon. He published the Maecheon Collection after Maecheon died.

He was good at Sung Confucianism and fatality. His studies related to astronomy remains as he was outstanding in astronomy.

He organized the Town Youth Association with Kim, Han-Seob and Kim, Byung-Hwi to prevent Donghak (Korean religion as oriental people) that had begun to spread over Gangjin, Janghung since 1893. He also participated in activities corresponding to students of Confucian who had negative opinions about Donghak (Korean religion as oriental people). He recorded the movements of rural society in his diary from 1891 to 1903. Since he had a hard time with farmers who believed the Korean religion(Donghak), he focused on studying.

He died In 1913 after we lost our national sovereignty to Japan in 1910. His descendents constructed the Yongjeon shrine in the entrance of Yongsan-ri to honor him.

Gangjae Posthumous Works, which is one of his collection, was published by Yoon, An in 1988. He wrote about his friendship with the students of Confucian and conditions relating to Korean Religion(Donghak) in detail in the diary from July,1891 to April,1903. It consists of Book I and Book II as a transcription. The diary from 1891 to 1896 is printed in Book I, and he wrote about his daily life with his friends who were students of Confucian so we are able to identify the name of Confucian scholars and place names. By reading his diary, we are also able to obtain information about the activities of the farmers who believed in the Korean religion(Donghak) at that moment in history.


* The Tomb of General Young-gul in ChilRyang


▶ Appointment No. Local Monument No. 36
▶ Appointment Date Sep. 22, 1978
▶ Size 8,670 pyeong
▶ Period Chosun Dynasty
▶ Location San 61, Danwol-ri, Chilryang-myeon, GangJin

General Yeng-gul was born in GangJin-gun, Chilryang-myeon, Yulbyeon-ri and rendered distinguished services during the Korean-Japanese War.

Chungmugong asked that the government confer upon him a decoration as a mark of honor. In the 30th year of King Sunjo`s reign, 1597, when a Japanese battle ship invaded GangJin Gusippo, Yeng-gul called his 2 Yenger brothers, Seo & Kyong, and his only son, Hongrip, and said, `We should fight for our country which has suffered from this war for 7-years`. He gathered over 300 people and assaulted the Japanese army. But, the next year, his two bothers and son all died in the Battle of Geojedo. 


* ChilRyang Songjeong-ri Dolmen Group


▶ Appointment No. Local Monument No. 66
▶ Appointment Date Feb . 25, 1985
▶ Size 25
▶ Period Bronze Age
▶ Location 696 Songjeong-ri, Chilryang-myon, Gangjin

Gangjin, situated in the southwest corner of South Jeolla Province has countless dolmens around the Tamjin River area. Chilryang-myeon has 13 groups of 152 dolmens which consist of both open-stone dolmens and the southern type.

Yongbok-ri & Songjeong-ri are the main areas of dolmens and exhibit similar style. Over 10,000 dolmens are distributed in South Jeolla Province and the Yongsan River area & the Tamjin River area are centers for them. It is important to note that this dolmen group, Songjeong-ri`s, representative of the dolmens of the Tamjin River.


* ChilRyang Samhyeong-ri Celadon Place


▶ Appointment No. Local Monument No. 81
▶ Appointment Date Feb .25, 1985
▶ Size 2,200 m2
▶ Period From Koryo Dynasty To Joseon Dynasty
▶ Location San 17-1 and 87 Samhyeong-ri, Chilryang-myeon, Gangjin 

This kiln site is located to the southeast of Samhyeong-ri Reservoir, near the Gangjin Daegu-myeon Celadon kiln site. This was a place that produced ordinary people`s ceramics, instead of finer styles of Celadon. In this respect, this site is useful to compare Samhyeong-ri finds and Daegu-myeon Koryo Celadon.

The late period of Koryo`s Celadon and the early Chosun ceramics were found in the San 71-1 area, while Choson white Celadons were found in the San 87 area. 


* YeongRang Birth Place


▶ Appointment No. Local monument No. 89
▶ Appointment Date Feb. 7, 1986
▶ Size 4,422 m2 (Around the Birth Place)
▶ Period 1906
▶ Location 211-1, Namseong-ri, Gangjin-eup, Gangjin

Yengrang was the pen name of Kim Yun-sik, an outstanding poet of the 1930`s, who wrote many famous poems.

He lived at this tranquil spot until he died in 1950. A monument engraved with a poem of his, reminds visitors of his idyllic sentiments. This site is very well preserved.


* Manho Castle area of Mado Battle Array


▶ Appointment No. Local Monument No. 179
▶ Appointment Date Dec. 22, 1999
▶ Size 28 lots 4,237㎡
▶ Period Josun (Established in about 1499)
▶ Location 692 Maryang-ri, Maryang-myun, Gangjin

According to Enlargement Literature Remark, The width and height of the Manho Castle area of Mado Battle Array was recorded at about 269.7 m and 3.6m as a stone castle, however, a part of north western wall remains to this day.

The total length of this castle is about 730m, the bottom is constructed with a square shape of big stones and the upper is built with a small stones about 30×20㎝ in size. The length of the existing western north wall is 220m, height 2.3∼4.7m, the upper width 1m the lower width 2.5m.

Marang in Mado Battle Array is located in south western sea side and it is joined with Gangjin, Janghung, Heanam and Youngam as it is a strategic point which is connected to Jeju Island. Bae Mountain, which looks like a horse head, is behind the castle and there are several islands in front of it so it had the best conditions as a naval station.

It was constructed as follows :the southern part is low and northern part is high under the clouds.

The east, west and south walls are used as the walls of the police substation of Marang County and only the bottom of that is confirmed. In addition, the bottom of North gate site was found to be another attached building. The width of that gate is 4.3m and the height is 1.6m. But it is faced with demolition as part of a road extension plan. 

 

Untitled Document
Untitled Document