Untitled Document
 

 

 
HOME > Tourism > Tourism of Gangjin > Cultural assets > Cultural assets


* GangJin Confucian School


▶ Appointment No. Local Tangible Cultural Property No.115
▶ Appointment Date Feb. 25, 1985
▶ Period Chosun Dynasty
▶ Location 691-1 DongSeong-ri, GangJin-eup, GangJin

The GangJin Confucian School retains no clues for its exact construction date. Only the old record of `Sinjungdonggukyeojiseungram` gives us the idea it may have been founded before the 16th century.


It was attacked, as others were, during the ImJin Invasion and features rebuilt such as the `Samaje` in 1613, and then as the Royal GangHae-gun and Confucian School in 1675. This school has WhueSamMun, NaeSamMun, Dong, SeoJae, MyungRyunDang, DaeSungJeon, KyoJikSa, etc. and is symmetrical.


* Namgang Temple Juja galpil mokpan


▶ Appointment No. Local Tangible Cultural Property No.154
▶ Appointment Date Jun. 1, 1987
▶ Period The late Chosun Dynasty
▶ Location 404 Gyoyeon-ri, Kangjin-eup

The Juja Gal-pin Wooden Plate rests in Namgang Temple. In 1809 (the 9th year of Sunjo), when Wooam (Song, Si-Yul) was exiled to a remote place, he found a wooden plate in a stream. In it, there were 20 kinds of Juja gal-pil wooden plates, and 8 kinds of wooden boxes. So, the president of Gangjin decided to bring it to Kangyoung.

However, the carriage seat for it would not move from Namgang Temple, and so this cultural property has remained in Namgang Temple. The present relic was damaged and parts have been lost. It has been restored.


* Wooden Boards of Haenam Yun`s Family Tree


▶ Appointment No. Local Material of Cultural Properties No.168
▶ Appointment Date Feb. 24, 1990
▶ Size 93 pieces
▶ Period 1702
▶ Location 82 Gangjung-ri, Toam-myeon, GangJin-gun

The Wooden boards of Haenam Yun`s family tree are a good example of the importance of bloodlines and the social structure of those days. It was made during a transitional stage of kinfolk structure.

The maternal relatives were also recorded and the names were recorded in their birth order, and legitimate children were recorded without discrimination. The format of this family tree is in keeping with the customs of the early period of the Chosun Dynasty. It was made in the 28th year of King Sukjung`s reign, 1902, and 93 pages are in good condition.


* The figure of Lee, Jae-Hyun(Ikjae) and Lee, Hang-Bok


▶ Appointment No. Tangible Cultural Property No.189
▶ Appointment Date Dec. 26, 1995
▶ Period In the end of Chosun(18∼19c)
▶ Location 895 Gusu-ri, Daegu-myun, Gangjin

Gugok temple is a shrine, which has held ceremonies with portraits of Lee, Jae-Hyun(Ikjae, 1287∼1367) and Lee, Hang-Bok(Baeksa, 1556∼1618).

There is no established date for either of these portraits but we can guess that they were drawn after the 18th century. Clues can be seen in the style of late Koryo portrait techniques from the portrait of Lee, Jae-Hyun and in the worthy retainer style in the 17th century from the portrait of Lee, Hang-Bok, these portraits are very important to the study of Korea portraits. Lee, Jae-Hyun was born in 1287 and was thought to be in the highest position as a civil minister. He left many books and good works as he was a scholar, writer,poet, and artist. He died in 1367. His portrait contains characteristics similar to the Song period of China in style and we may assume that the portrait of Koryo was developed, based on Song period of China.

Lee, Hang-Bok is the renowned retainer, who lived during the time of the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1952. We can read bravery and strong mortal virtue from his full-length seated figure. It is the typical portrait style of the civil minister through the middle of the Chosun period (17th Century). Both of these portraits were reproduced in the 18th ~ 19th Centuries based on the original portraits.


* Suam Sowon (Private School)


▶ Appointment No. Local Monument No. 39
▶ Appointment Date Aug. 3, 1979
▶ Period Chosun Dynasty
▶ Location 288 Suyang-ri, Sungjean, GangJin

This school was established in 1820 (the 20th year of King Seonjo`s reign), demolished in 1868 (the 5th year of King Kojong`s reign) by Daewongun`s policy of Sowon removal and rebuilt as it is today. Yi Sunjae passed the civil service examination in the reign of King Sejong and became a high-ranking civil official working at Jhiphyeonjeon.

Yi Juwon was a high-ranking civil official in the reign of King Seongjong (1469­1494), and was appointed as a Royal Secret Inspector for Jeolla & Gyeongsang Provinces. However, he left the civil service and retired to study. Yi Chungho worked as the Head of the Province (Governor), and as Inspector of Jeolla and studied metaphysics here. Tongam was the Governor and, also `Vice-Chief Scholar`.


* Geumang Temple


▶ Appointment No. Local Monument No.91
▶ Appointment Date Feb. 7, 1986
▶ Size Around the tomb
▶ Period Chosun Dynasty
▶ Location 13 YeongPa-ri, GangJin-up, GangJin

Geumang Temple memorializes General Lee Soon-Shin and holds a ritual for General Kim Uk-Choo who was born in GangJin and was once Director of the Ministry of the Army.

The temple was founded in 1781, the year of King Jungjo 5, but ruined in 1868, the year of KoJong 5 by the policy of the Seo-Won Abolishment. Fortunately, a restored figure, the same as it presently appears, was found in 1946. General Kim Uk-Choo was born at Baeksan-ri, Jakjeon-myeon, GangJin-gun in 1548, the year of King Myungjong 3 and died in 1618, the year of Royal Kwanghae 10. General Kim passed the national military test and held many official positions in the Chosun army and finally helped General Lee in fighting against the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1952. He also held the position of soldier of Kyungsan and Choongchung province and was a clerk in Jeju and was recorded as the first worthy retainer, even though he died, the name was given to him posthumously. The shrine consists of three rooms on the front and side with a cylinder, as well, one auditorium and another auxillary building. 


* Haenam Yun`s Memorial Hall


▶ Appointment No. Folk material No. 28
▶ Appointment Date Feb. 24, 1990
▶ Size facade : 5 rooms profile: 2 rooms
▶ Period 1687 (13th year of King Sukjong`s reign)
▶ Location Gangjin-gun Toam-myeon (haera-ri 70)

This hall was built in 1687 (the 13th year of King Sukjong`s reign) and has been kept in good condition with respect to dimension and condition. It has 5 rooms on the front side and 2 rooms on the side and has doubled eaves. It consists of a main pavilion and many servants` quarters. It was constructed in a symmetrical arrangement. Considering its dimension and style, a noteworthy structure.


* Haenam Yun`s Memorial Pavilion


▶ Appointment No. Folk Material No. 29
▶ Appointment Date Feb. 24, 1990
▶ Size facade - 5 rooms, profile - 2 rooms
▶ Period 1649 (the 27th year of King Injo)
▶ Location 82 Gangjong-ri, Toam-myeon, GangJin 

There are 5 rooms on the front side and 2 rooms on the side. It is one-story building with wooden floor boards, doubled eaves, and an octagonal roof.


The wall and rafters were repaired several times in 1781, and the east rafters were replaced in 1986. It has kept the original building style up to now. Contained within the building is the Material of Cultural Property No.168, the Wooden Board of Haenam Yun`s family tree.


* Monument for YunBok


▶ Appointment No. Local Monument No. 203
▶ Appointment Date Apr. 19, 2002
▶ Size 1 pc
▶ Period Choseon Dynasty(1822)
▶ Location 23-23 Mt. YongHeung-ri, DoAm-myeon, Gangjin

* HaengDang, the pen name of YunBok, lived from 1512 to 1577. He was the forth son of Yun, HyoJung and was born in Haenam. Since he passed the civil service examination in 1538, He was the scholar of SeoGyunGwan, YeJoJeongRang(High ranking officer), the governor of Jeolla province, Administrator of SaHeon Dept. (Government office), Officer of SeungJungWon(High ranking office) as inside position, and also the mayor of BuAn, mayor of NagAn, governor of AnDong and GwangJu, the chairman of Jeolla province as outside job.


- As an important member of Honam(Jeolla Province) scholars, he recorded the life cycle of government ?(

- While he was the governor of AnDong, he had an academic interchange with ToeGye.

- Originally, the monument of HaengDang was erected around 1698. Yun, JuMi, great-great-daughter of him has brought the inscription from GwonYu in AnDong(Positioned high ranking in government). The first letter was written by GwoGyu and the inscription was written by O, SiBok.(Both of them were high ranking officers).

-The present monument was erected in 1822 with supplement.

In this moment, the inscription was written by Yun, JongGyom, the 10th grand son and the first letter was written by Yun, GyuRo who is the 9th grand son of HaengDang as well as the reason of erection and descendant record since the original inscription. Yun, JongGyeom composed the inscription.

- The inscription consists of the achievements of HaengDang and descendant. The original inscription is engraved in the front and back of monument and supplement is engraved in the left and right side of it.

- It has historical value as we can read the historicity of a man. As well it has scientific value as it can be figured out the date of erection and supplement. Also it has local cultural value as it shows the division of his descendant.







Untitled Document
Untitled Document