Untitled Document
 

 

 
HOME > Tourism > Tourism of Gangjin > A tourist resort




* Deagu-myun Celadon Kiln


- Appointment No. : Historical site No. 68
- Appointment Date : Jan. 21, 1963
- Size : 183
- Location : Around Daegu-myun, Gangjin (Yongwoon-ri, Gyeul-ri, Sadang-ri, Sudong-ri)


A great number of 9th century to 14th century celadon porcelain from GangJin have been found around Daegu-myeon and Chilryang-myeon.

The main site of Gangjin celadon is the Yongmoon Stream in Daegu-myun. Jungsu Temple is toward the East Northern valley and the stream is connected to the sea from Ungok town. Most pieces are from the kiln of Yongwoon-ri, which reflect the relationship with the Wolju kiln and the Yu kiln.

SaDang-ri, at the lower end of the stream, is said to have existed at the peak of Koryo celadon. Celadon tiles in the National Museum are proof that these kilns produced the highest quality celadon of the Koryo Dynasty.


* Dasan's Remains


Dasan Thatched Cottage, located at the foot of Mt. Mandeok, and overlooking GangJin Bay, was the place of exile where Chung Yag Yong, a scholar of the practical learning school in the Chosun Dynasty, was sent.

Dasan(1762~1836), was the fourth son of Chung JaeWon, who was a governor of Jinju. After passing the required examinations for the military, he occupied many positions within the government. Involved with WhangSaYeong's white paper and exiled to GangJin, Chung lived outside of GangJin-eup's east gate for 8 years out of his 18-year exile and moved into 2 cottages, where he taught students and wrote books.

He completed about 500 works with the help of his pupils from the spring of 1808 to September of 1818. Among his books, MokMin SimSo, KyongSeyUpyo, and HumHumSinSo are the most famous. The house where he lived fell to ruin. Later the east hermitage and west hermitage were built next to the cottage.


* Dasan's Relic Exhibition Hall


- Exhibition room : 122 pyung
- Parking lot : 600 pyung
- Established Date : 1999.8.7
- Time : 09:00 ∼18:00 / Winter(Nov.∼Feb.) : 09:00 ∼17:00
- Open for 365 days

Dasan's Relic Exhibition Hall is located 700m away from Dasan's remains toward the south. It shows Dasan Jung, Yak-Yong's life and achievement.

The exhibition includes his family tree, his life, his work, his relics, and his scholastic mantle. In addition, the visitor may obtain more detailed information through the use of the hall's touch screen computers.

A presentation about Dasan's life and an introduction of Ganjin may been seen in Media room. The presentation begins automatically when a tourist enters the media room and takes 7 minutes to complete.

The large parking lot in front of the Exhibition hall is convenient for group tours or student group tours.


* Youngrang Birth Place


- Appointment No. : Local monument No. 89
- Appointment Date : Feb. 7, 1986
- Size : 4,422 m2 (Around the Birth Place)
- Foundation Date : 1906
- Location : 211-1, Namseong-ri, Gangjin-eup, Gangjin

Yengrang was the pen name of Kim Yun-sik, an outstanding poet of the 1930's, who wrote many famous poems.

His birthplace was damaged after leaving here for Seoul but it was restored by Gangjin-gun from 1985 to 1993. There is a stone wall which is the title of his outstanding poem, on the road curved toward his birthplace.

A monument engraved with his poem, Till Peony is in Full of Blossom, is located on the grass. The main building of this house is located past the stone monument. There is stone well to the left of the main building- Clear stone well in front of yard-a persimmon tree, peony garden, and a terrace where soy sauce crocks are placed on the right side of the main building - Oh, it Looks Turning With Red and Yellow(the original title was, Sis! Look at My Mind) and Till peony is in Full of Blossom." There is a Ginkgo in front of a room for male quests. This Ginkgo was planted by him when he was 19 years old. On the hill behind the main building, Bamboo and Camellia were planted. The debut poem is based on this place- Thoughts shining with camellia leaves.


* Beakryeon Temple


- Appointment No. : Local Tangible Cultural Properties No. 136
- Appointment Date : Feb. 7, 1986
- Size : 3 Rooms in Front and on the Side
- Period : Late Chosun Dynasty
- Location : 246 Mandeuk-ri DoAm-myeon GangJin

The original name of Baekryeon Temple was Dandeoksan Temple. Although it has long been thought that the temple was founded at the end of the Shilla Dynasty, this is not accurate.

The temple produced 8 national monks at the end of Koryo Dynasty, and 8 great monks at the end of the Chosun Dynasty and had a good reputation. The octagonal main sanctuary with its 3 front rooms and double eaves was probably built in the late Chosun Dynasty.

There is wooden trinity Buddha inside of this temple which has been estimated to be founded at the latter part of Chosun dynasty. An unusual feature of the trinity is the images of the gods depicted. As the main god depicted is the Merciful Goddess, Bodhisattva should have been depicted on either side, but instead, there is a depiction of Buddha.


* Muwi Temple

- Appointment No. : National Treasure no.13
- Appointment Date : Dec. 20, 1962
- Size : 3 Room on the Front and Side
- Period : Chosun Dynasty
- Location : 1174 WolHa-ri, SeogJeon-myeon, Gangjin-kun

Historical records say that the Great monk, Wonhyo founded and named this temple, GwanHeum, in 617, the 39th year of King JinPyeong's reign, but give no specific proof.

However, the ByunGwang Tower Monument of the Great monk, Seongak in the Muwi Temple, mentions that it had been called "Muwi KapSa" since the Shilla era.

Most of the sanctuaries that remain in Muwi Temple were built in 1555, the fourth re-construction, except the Paradise Sanctuary, which was considered to have been built before 1476.

The inscription "Year of Queen SeonDeok's 5", carved on the pillar, first noticed in 1983, suggests that the building existed in 1430, the 12th year of King SeoJong's reign. A broad space without pillars can be found and many Buddhist saints' paintings, which are thought to be original works of Oh-DoJa, one of the most famous portrait artists, hang on the wall inside.


* Jeolla Byungyoung Sacred Place


- Appointment No. : Historical Site No.397
- Appointment Date : Apr. 18, 1997
- Size : About 30,000 pyung
- Period : 1417(King Taejon' 17)
- Location : SeongDong-ri ByungYeong-myon GangJin

Jeolla ByungYeong was the main base of the Jeolla Army for 500 years during the Choson Dynasty. It was moved from GwangSan-hyeon in 1417, the year of King TaeJong's 17.

Its First commander, General Ma-ChunDeuk, built it and people called it "Snowy ByungYeong," because of General Ma's dream. It was constructed on flat ground and was a long, vertical shape with a total length of 1,500 meters.

Governor KwonYool's appeal in 1599, the year of King SunJo's 32, caused it to be moved to JangHeung temporarily but it was returned in 1604, during the Dutchman, Hamel's 8 year stay. In 1894, in the late Chosun period, the DongHak Revolt destroyed ByungYoung and it was demolished in 1895, the year of King KoJong's 32. The Jeolla barracks has been appointed and managed as Jeolla Monument No.140 since March 9, 1992 and was designated as a National monument in 1997.


* Wolchool Camping Ground


▶ Phone : (061) 432- 5416 

▶ Zip Code : 527 - 810 

▶ Surroundings 

 It is suitable for visitors to train the body and mind and enjoy national treasure #10, Muwi Temple, Wolchul Mt. National Park and Gyongpodae Valley around it. 

▶ Facilities : Size of land (36.209m2), Size of building (1,025m2) 

   - Lodging facility : 12 rooms for 30 people , campsite for 250 people    - Conference facility : main hall, conference room, outdoor-square    - Recreational facility : volley ball, soccer, table-tennis
   - Additional facility : parking lot (large-5, small-10) 

▶ Main Events : Planned by each school group 

▶ Closed : Holidays

▶ Transportation : Gangjin -> YongAm -> Seongjeon-myeon Wolnam-ri (entrance of Wolchul Mt.) : Take 25mins on foot 

▶ Administrator : Jeonnam Superintendent of Educational Affairs 


* Maryang Port


MaRyang port is located to the Southeast, past Gwangju and gangjin. It is known as for great fishing, and connects Wando, Dadohae Island and Jeju Island.

There are 3 class hotels, 32 inns and a campsite. The Korean Fishing Contest was held here in July, '95, and since then MaRyang Port has been famous as an excellent fishing site among fishermen.

▶ Phone : (061) 432- 5416 

▶ Zip Code : 527 - 910 

▶ Address : 987 MaRyang-ri, MaRyang-myeon, Gangjin-gun, South Jeolla Province 

▶ Kinds of Fish : Gold bream, Sea bass, etc 

▶ Fishing Possibilities : Rock fishing, Dockside fishing, Fishing from Boats, Deep Sea fishing

▶ Transportation

GangJin Terminal -> Naju -> 13th State Road toward Yeungam -> Go straight from GangJin Seongjeon-myeun Concourse of three streets -> GangJin-eup -> 23th State Road toward Maryang -> 24km -> MaRyang Port 

▶ Public Transportation 

  - Train :  Seoul Train Station -> To Mokpo (Take bus 1 hours to MaRyang Port) or Yeongsanpo(Take bus 1 hours to MaRyang Port), Gwangju Station (Take bus 1.5 hours to MoRyang Port) 

  - Bus :  Take Cross-country bus toward GangJin from Gwangju Bus Terminal -> Get off in GangJin Bus Terminal (1 hour and a half) -> Get on Local bus toward MaRyang (30 mins) 

▶ Inquiry 

  - Gwangju Fishing : (061) 433-0505(GangJin)

  - Daewoo Fishing : (061) 434-5912 (GangJin)

  - Gwangwang Fishing : (061) 432-2255 (Maryang)

  - Hyungje Fishing : (061) 432-2253 (Maryang)







Untitled Document
Untitled Document