Untitled Document
 

 

 
HOME > Tourism > Field investigation tour > Korea



* Jeolla Byungyoung Sacred Place


* Location : SeongDong-ri ByungYeong-myon GangJin


■ Appointment No. : Historical Site No.397
■ Appointment Date : Apr. 18, 1997
■ Size : About 30,000 pyung
■ Period : 1417(King Taejon' 17)

Jeolla ByungYeong was the main base of the Jeolla Army for 500 years during the Choson Dynasty. It was moved from GwangSan-hyeon in 1417, the year of King TaeJong's 17.

Its First commander, General Ma-ChunDeuk, built it and people called it "Snowy ByungYeong," because of General Ma's dream. It was constructed on flat ground and was a long, vertical shape with a total length of 1,500 meters.

Governor KwonYool's appeal in 1599, the year of King SunJo's 32, caused it to be moved to JangHeung temporarily but it was returned in 1604, during the Dutchman, Hamel's 8 year stay. In 1894, in the late Chosun period, the DongHak Revolt destroyed ByungYoung and it was demolished in 1895, the year of King KoJong's 32. The Jeolla barracks has been appointed and managed as Jeolla Monument No.140 since March 9, 1992 and was designated as a National monument in 1997.


* Byungyoung Ginkgo


* Location : 70 Sungdong-ri, Byungyoung-myun,Gangjin


■ Appointment No. Natural monument No.385
■ Appointment Date Dec. 31, 1997
■ Size 2,825㎡(855pyung)
■ Period 5∼600 years old(Estimated)


The ginkgo is located in Byungyoung-myun, which is far from Gangjin-ub to the northeast. There was the public office of Dogang in Koryo and the barracks in Chosun(King Taejong 17- 1417) in Byoungyoung-myun. The ginkgo is about 500 m away from this location.

The ginkgo is in the middle of Dongsung village and is a tree with symbolic importance. Its size is height 30m, width 6.75m, the width of crown is 16.5m from center toward the East, 13m toward the West, 10.9m toward the south and 3.5m toward the North. The Ginkgo biloba is a larch, which came from China and has a long life. The Ginkgo,which can be found in Iseo-myun, Hwasoon, Jeonnam, was appointed as a natural monument. It is estimated to be around 500 years old by the size of tree and the history of this town.

According to legend, one day, there was a big rainstorm in Summer. Several branches of the tree were broken off by the rainstorm. A soldier heard the news and ordered to make furniture with those branches. After that, one soldier, who slept with the pillow, which is made of one of Ginkgo branches grew ill, but there was no explanation.

At last, a witch declared that he was sick because of the pillow. Therefore, she advised that him to hold a ceremony for that Ginkgo and to post that pillow on the three. He followed her advice and he got better soon.


* Gangjin Celadon Museum


* Location : Daegu?myeon, Gangjin?gun, Jeonnam


A great number of 9th century to 14th century celadon porcelain from GangJin have been found around Daegu-myeon and Chilryang-myeon.
The main site of Gangjin celadon is the Yongmoon Stream in Daegu-myun. Jungsu Temple is toward the East Northern valley and the stream is connected to the sea from Ungok town. Most pieces are from the kiln of Yongwoon-ri, which reflect the relationship with the Wolju kiln and the Yu kiln.

SaDang-ri, at the lower end of the stream, is said to have existed at the peak of Koryo celadon. Celadon tiles in the National Museum are proof that these kilns produced the highest quality celadon of the Koryo Dynasty.

Viewing of 22 items of daily goods used by normal families and sailors in the period (1650) when Hamel lived in Netherlands, donated by Gorinchem.?
Experience in making earthenware in a celadon kiln near the museum.


* Mt. Suin


* Location : Seongdong?ri, Byeongyeong?myeon, Gangjin?gun, Jeonnam


Mt. Suin forms the boundary between Gangjin and Jangheung.? Its geographical features are grand and profound, disproportionate to its height.
The top is surrounded by a mountain fortress, a strategic point of Jeolla Byeongyeong Fortress from late Goryeo to Joseon Dynasty and was used as a residents' shelter whenever Japanese pirate made their raids.

Since it looks down at Jeolla Byeongyeong Fortress where Hamel and his mates lived for 7 years, they may have often gone to the mountain.
They may have gone there to gather firewood with their worn?out clothes to pass the winter.? Or they have paid visit to Suinsa (Temple) to see Buddhist monks, who were kind to them and enjoyed the story telling of their adventures.

Most probably, they may have missed their homes with a sigh, sitting down under a gingko tree, looking at Mt. Suin.


* Byeongyeong Hangolmok


* Location : Seongdong?ri, Byeongyeong?myeon, Gangjin?gun, Jeonnam


There are unique style of stonewalls in Byeongyeong Fortress where Hamel and his mates lived for 7 years.
A village scene of 'comb?pattern stone walls' opens up around 'Hangolmok' of Byeongyeong.
These comb?pattern walls have not been found in any other parts of Korea.? It is made by laying mixed yellow soil in a regular pattern.? It is believed that this style was handed down by Hamel and his mates.?


* Waborangkke Museum


* Location : 596?1 Doryong?ri, Byeongyeong?myeon, Gangjin?gun, Jeollanam-do
* Web site : http://woaba.com.ne.kr


Waborrangkke Museum is located about 2km of Jangheung and operated by Kim Seong?uh, a native of this area.

The museum exhibits folk articles which have disappeared, such as 100 items of traditional folk goods, 150 items of daily goods, and 50 items of farm goods.? It has become a significant place for young students to experience history and for the elderly to remember the olden days.

These exhibits were collected and some were donated.? This place is very warm and simple, a real treasure storage of our memories.
Some of the exhibits include unique?style of saws or repair tools similar to the ones that equipped the Dutch ships, suggesting Hamel's legacy.

A curator of Waborangkke Museum Kim Seong?uh is an expert in Hamel, he has collected Hamel?related materials for years.? You can learn a lot about Hamel from him.


* Sindo-ri Beach


* Location:

Sindo-ri, Namjeju-gun, Jeju-do

On Aug. 16, 1653, Hamel and his mates leaving for Nagasaki, Japan by the Sperwer were shipwrecked in Jeju-do.
Sindo-ri Beach of Namjeju-gun is a promising place where they were shipwrecked, on the basis of what was written in the『Jiyeongrok.
In particular, the probability is very high because there is the place, called 'Daemul' or 'Keunmul', near Sindo-ri Beach.


* Hamel Monument


* Location:
Sagye-ri, Andeok-myeon, Namjeju-gun, Jeju-do

The Hamel Monument was built on the hill of the beach on April 1, 1980 by the Korea International Culture Society and the Dutch Embassy in Korea to improve friendship between the two nations.
On August 16, 1653, Hamel was hit by a typhoon and his ship was shipwrecked on Jeju. He wrote about his lives for 13 years in Korea in the 'The Journal of Hendrick Hamel' played a vital role in introducing Korea to the rest of Europe.


* Jeju-mok Office


* Location:

43-3 Samdo 2-dong, Jeju, Jeju-do

Hamel and his mates, shipwrecked on Aug. 16, 1653, left for Jeju-mok on the 21st of the same month, and arrived there next day(22nd).
They were examined by the Governor Lee Won-jin in this office.
At present, Jeju-mok Office is distributed around present Gwandeokjong that was the center of administration of the Jeju area during the Joseon Dynasty. It was designated as National Historical Spot No. 380 on March 30, 1993.


* Daejeong-hyeon Fortress


* Location :

Boseong-ri, Inseong-ri, and Anseong-ri, Daejeong-eup, Namjeju-gun, Jeju-do

Hamel and his mates, shipwrecked in Jeju-do on Aug. 16, 1653, were transferred to Jeju-mok Office on the 21st of the same month. In the middle of their travel, they arrived at Daejong towards the evening.
They stayed one night here.
Daejeong-hyeon Fortress was designated as Jeju-do Monument No. 12 on Aug. 26, 1971.


* Jeju-eup Fortress


* Location:

Ido 2-dong, Jeju, Jeju-do

Jeju-eup Fortress was the place where Hamel once lived.
After the tenure of Governor Lee Won-jin, who treated Hamel and his mates warmly and kindly, their lives became miserable because of the new governor's sever control of their freedom and limitations of their food supply. But finally they were transferred to Seoul in May 1654.
Although it is unknown when Jeju-eup Fortress was built, it is believed that it was first built during the Tamna Period and repaired by the Goryeo Dynasty as defense Japanese against pirate raiders.
At present, only 150 meters of Namsugak was rebuilt.


* Jeju National Museum


* Location:
261 Geonip-dong (Samsaseok-no 11), Jeju, Jeju-do


Web site: http://jeju.museum.go.kr

Jeju National Museum was opened on June 15, 2001 in Jeju-do, a beautiful island.
The focus of exhibition is on the excavated remains and other relics and historical things collected frommany places.
In particular, you can meet old Hamel-related materials such as the Gorinchem map of the 17th century and 『Jiyeongnok』which was mentioned about where Hamel was shipwrecked in Jeju.


* Namhan Sanseong


* Location :

Mt. Namhan, Sanseong-ri, Jungbu-myeon, Gwangju, Gyeonggi-do


Web site : www.namhansansung.or.kr

Hamel and his mates were transferred to a big fortress by the king's order in Aug. 1654, several months after arriving in Seoul.
Because an envoy of the Ching China visited Joseon, they were isolated.
According to Hamel, Namhan Sanseong was a very strong fortress where the king used to take refuge during wartime.
Present Namhan Sanseong was designated as Historical Spot No. 57 on Jan. 21, 1963.
It is located at Sanseong-ri, Jungbu-myeon, Gwangju, Long. 127°11′E and Lat. 37°28′N about 24km southeast of Seoul.


* The site of Jeolla Jwasuyeong


* Location :

Gunja-dong, Yeosu, Jeonnam

A total of 12 persons of Hamel and his mates, distributed in Yeosu, and lived there since March 1663.
Their treatment varied with the nature of the governor. They remembered that Governor Lee Do-bin was a very good officer.
The only remaining building in Jeolla Jwasuyeong Fortress is Jinnamgwan.
The site of Jinnamgwan once became the headquarters of Jeolla Jwasuyeong by Admiral Yi Sun-shin.
Jinnamgwan was a large-scaled accommodation building with 75 rooms, built by he Governor Lee Si-eon, who was Admiral Yi Sun-shin's successor, on the site of Jinhaeru in 1599 after Imjinhaeran(Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592).
Jinnamgwan was designated as Treasure No. 324 on May 30, 1959 and then as National Treasure No. 304 on April 17, 2001 due to its importance and value.
There is Lee Do-bin Monument among stone monument group on the left of the building.


* Hamel Lighthouse


* Location :
Jonghwa-dong, Yeosu, Jeonnam

Hamel Lighthouse stands on the offing of Jonghwa-dong, Yeosu.
In March, 2005, Hamel Lighthouse was illuminated. It serves as a monument to remember Hamel and his mates who were shipwrecked in Jeju-do in 1653 and they lived for 13 years and 28 days in Korea.
They lived in Yeosu since March 1663 and 8 of them escaped to Japan in Sept. 1666.
Its height is 10m and lighted for ships coming and going from Gwangyang Port to Yeosu Port.
It is automatically lighted up after sunset and flashes over about 5 miles.


* Namwon Fortress


* Location:
Dongchung-dong, Namwon, Jeonbuk

Hamel and his mates residing in Byeongyeong Fortress of Gangjin were scattered to Yeosu, Suncheon, and Namwon in 1663.
Five of them came to Namwon and lived in Namwon Fortress.
Their lives in Namwon are nearly unknown, but there is record that a navigation officer, residing in Suncheon, visited Namwon immediately before the escape.
Namwon Fortress was partially restored on Nov. 3, 1982 and designated as Historical Spot No. 298.


* Hamel Ship Exhibition Center


* Location :
Yongmeori Beach, Sagye-ri, Andeok-myeon, Namjeju-dun, Jeju-do

This center exhibits a ship which was reproduced after the Batavia which existed in the similar year of the Sperwer where Hamel and his mates took.
It was built to remember the contributions of Hamel and his mates 350 years before in 2003, 'The Year of Hamel'.
Its scale includes the full length of 36. 6m, the width of 7. 8m, the height of the deck of 11m, and the height of a mast of 32m with three stories. You can take a look at Hiddink, who was the leading figure of playing in the semifinals during the World Cup in 2002, and the lives of ship in the 17th century.




Untitled Document
Untitled Document