1. Overview of the project
- Location: 70 Seongdong ri, Byeongyeong - myeon, Gangjin - gun (around a gingko tree, Natural Monument No. 385
- Contents: A Hamel exhibition hall(1), Hangolmok(1.2km), a folk village(1), a floricultural complex(1), a youth training center(1)
- Period: 2003~2007 (five years)
Hamel is the author of the famous book or memoir called ¡®The Jounal of Hendrick Hamel'. He was the first to introduce Korea to the Western world. He lived his interned life in Gangjin for 7 years.
Gangjin bears the marks of the Western culture Hamel and his mate left. On Oct. 3, 1998 Gorinchem of Netherlands and Gangjin set up a sisterhood city relationship. Both continue in actively promoting cultural exchanges to increase mutual friendship.
Gangjin - gun aims to use Hamel's place as an arena of historical exchange between the Orient and the West. It will serve as a distinctive place of history to compare and experience the living conditions and culture of both Korea and Netherlands. It shall be promoted as a world tourist attraction by developing and restoring Jeolla Byeongyeong Fortress, Historical Spot No. 397.
3. Plan of the project
¡Û Establishment of Dutch (Hamel) Folk Exhibition Hall (2003~2006)
- Dutch Pavilion(Hamel)
- Hamel Exhibition Hall, Experience of Hamel's Shipwreck, Souvenir Shop
- To exhibit 'The Journal of Hendrick Hamel' and information, materials, and models related to Hamel and his mate's life.
¡Û To develop Dutch Village (After 2006)
- To develop Hangolmok(a comb-pattern stonewall of 1.2km) and a traditional folk village
- To reproduce a Dutch village with windmills
- To build a clogs workshop
- To develop a floricultural complex and a green land
- To develop youth training facilities
¡Û Details of plan
- 2005 Hamel Exhibition Hall : 1
- 2006~ Hangolmok : 1.2km
- A folk village : 1
- A floricultural complex : 1
- A youth training center: 1
¡Û Dec. 2002: Secured working expenses.
¡Û April 2003: Approved by Jeollanam?do.
¡Û 2003: Building Dutch (Hamel) Folk Exhibition Hall and an order for an exhibition design was placed.
- Scale of construction: Floor area 300 pyeong/Two stories above
- Exhibition area: 250 pyeong
¡Û Feb. 4, 2004: The Cultural Heritage Administration visited the site to approve the change of the site around cultural heritage(Approval was submitted in Nov. 2003).
¡Û 2004: Purchase of land: 4.098 pyeong
5. A birds'- eye view