The army of the Daehan Empire
was gradually reduced while the Japanese Empire exposed
its intent of aggression without disguise.
In 1907 immediately before the disbandment of the military,
the 4th battalion was set up in Jeolla-do with the headquarters
Outstations of the 4th battalion were established in
Gangjin and Jeonju and a force 50 strong was sent.
It is still uncertain whether an outstation in Gangjin
was located in the site of the past Byeongyeong.
However, it can be guessed that although Jeolla Byeongyeong
was removed, Gangjin still remained as a strategic point
of the Jeolla area.
After the army was disbanded, they joined loyal troops
under Shin Nam-il's command, providing outstanding military
strength, contributing to being active in the war of
Uibyeong(righteous armies). With the undisguised desire
of Japan for invasion, the war of Uibyeong was developed
from every corner of the country.
Since Gangjin shared the branch of Mt. Jirisan with
Jangheung and Boseong, it had advantage of the activity
of Uibyeong. This area was greatly influenced by Choi
Ik-hyeon and Im Byeong-chan troops at one time. Famous
commander of Uibyeong was Shin Nam-il and many of Gangjin
people joined his army.
Shin Nam-il gathered soldiers
in Hampyeong, Nampyeong, Boseong, and Jangheung in 1908.
He played an active part in Nampyeong, but got arrested
in August of the same year.
Jeolla Byeongyeong built its fortress after the removal
to Gangjin and controlled 52 Ju and 6 Jin in the province
of Jella-do. In 1895 during the Baekje Period, it was
the seat of Dogang-gun, called Gogun-myeon, and controlled
24 Dong and Ri, including Sakdun and Baekyang. In 1914,
it was reorganized to the present administrative district.
In 1931, it was changed its name to Byeongyeong-myeon
because there was Byeongyeong Fortress.